jakiblue

Tangled Bookmarks

Books, books, books, and hey, more books!

Navigating Early
Clare Vanderpool
The Ghosts of Chicago: The Windy City's Most Famous Haunts
Adam Selzer
By the Light of the Moon (Lakeside, #1)
Laila Blake

I Love the 80s

I Love the 80s - Megan Crane Pull on that Choose Life tshirt and hot pink legwarmers, slip an Adam and the Ants tape into your boombox, open up that icy cold can of TAB, and settle back to read about how Jenna Jenkins accidentally goes back in time to the 1980s and meets her One True Wuv, Tommy Seer, lead singer of the biggest band of the 80s, The Wild Boys.

If you’re an 80s girl like me, you’ll be snickering along as Jenna finds herself surrounded by huge shoulder pads, white coats with the sleeves pushed to the elbows & pastel shirts underneath, skinny ties, BIG hair, and worst of all, NO mobile [cell] phones or Internet. (What did we do before the Internet???)

When Jenna Jenkins was 12, she was madly, completely, utterly and totally in luuuuuuuuuurve with Tommy Seer, lead singer of The Wild Boys, the biggest band to hit the 80s. And devastated when he mysteriously died in 1987. He dominated her adolescent years, and no other male could even come close to him, in her eyes.

In present day, Jenna is consoling herself with her teenage memories of Tommy, while working through the pain and hurt and confusion of a bad and unexpected break up with her fiance. Consoling herself perhaps too much, according to her best friend, who is worried that Jenna is shutting herself away from life, and living entirely in those long ago adolescent dreams. Working late one night, a freak accident sends Jenna hurtling back through time, to 1987, where she discovers she is working for a pop video tv station – sort of like MTV. And one of the first people she stumbles upon is none other than Tommy Seer, alive and well…and a total douchebag.

This book is fun. There’s nothing spectacular in it – it’s your standard boy meets girl, physical attraction ensues (MUCH physical attraction), misunderstandings get in the way, romantic fluff happens. BUT it’s just so much fun to read, particularly if you are an 80s girl like me. The fashions – god, did we really wear that? The music – Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Duran Duran. Jenna’s fish-out-of-water feeling knowing she can’t just check Wikipedia or Google to find out stuff.

And Jenna is determined to find out exactly how Tommy Seer died, and why. Her encyclopedic knowledge of the band ensures she knows about the little “accidents” that were happening to him, leading up to the fatal crash. All she wants to do is love Tommy and stop him from dying.

If you’re in the mood for a light, fluffy, FUN romance, with the added bonus of time travel, then I Love the 80s by Megan Crane is absolutely perfect.